History

 

  • The Lockland School District began operation in May 1851 as a one-room, two-teacher, seventy five pupil public school. Today, our district has an enrollment of over 700 students, 55 teachers, 6 administrators, and 30 support personnel.
  • On May 2, 1881, the school board met for the purpose of deciding on the amount of a bond issue for a new school between Forrer Street and Ruffner Street (now North Cooper) to replace the original school at the end of Mill Street. The board approved the issuance of $15,000 coupon bonds, which were to be retired in ten years. The present site of Lockland Elementary and Lockland High School is where this school was built.
  • On June 14, 1894 Lockland High School celebrated their first graduating class.
  • The Arlington Heights school opened on September 10, 1934. The building was funded in those days by a $35,000 bond issue which was passed by voters November 7, 1933. The district received a grant of $50,000 from the Federal Administrator of Public Works to assist with the funding of this project.
  • The first high school night football game in southwestern Ohio was played under the lights at the Lockland Stadium with a final score of:   Lockland 8 and  Purcell 0.
  • Lockland Wayne High School opened on September 7, 1938. The cost was $100,000 that was financed by $55,000 bond issue approved by September 15, 1936. The school district received a federal grant of $45,000 to help pay for the construction.
  • On November 6, 1945, Lockland voters approved a $225,000 addition to the Lockland High School for a War Memorial and Gymnasium.
  • On Novemeber 2, 1948 a school bond issue passed in the amount of  $650.000 for a new gym,b a footall stadium, a library, swimming pool , and lunchroom.
  • The new primary building located on North Cooper opened for instruction in 1965.
  • In 1969, the new lunchroom and classroom addition for the primary building was opened for use.
  • In 1996, the communities of Lockland and Arlington Heights passed a very critical 5-year emergency tax levy saving the district from merger with another school district, which allowed the district to maintain our own identity!  The passage of an operating levy in August of 2003 has sustained the district for the last eleven years.

  • Due to the adoption of an open enrollment policy in February of 2004, the district has increased enrollment and continued to offer outstanding educational and athletic opportunities for the students of Lockland. However, since 2004, many surrounding schools have adopted similar policies and our number for Open Enrollment has dropped.